The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a central sector scheme of Government of India, ministry of youth affairs and sports. The scheme was launched in Gandhiji’s centenary year, 1969, aimed at developing student’s personality through community service.
SWACHH BHARAT SUMMER INTERNSHIP
A Total of 15 students enrolled themselves for the Swachh bharat Summer Internship programme for the year 2018. As part of the Internship Programme, Kodangudi village has been adopted. The following activities were carried out:
1. The students of Govt. primary school, Kondangudi were given awareness on cleanliness.
- 2. The school students and the interns went on a rally stressing the importance of environmental cleanliness by raising slogans such as “Keep our Environment Clean”, “Green Environment”, “Save Environment”.
- 3. The interns cleaned the temple in Kondangudi village.
- 4. The interns cleaned the school campus thereby insisting the school students to do it regularly.
- 5. The interns visited the households and encouraged them to separate bio-degradable and non-degradable waste.
- 6. The women folk of the village were motivated not to throw any waste on the road side.
- 7. The villagers were motivated to use the public toilets thereby avoiding open defecation.
- 8. School students were given awareness on personal hygiene and cleanliness.
- 9. The interns sang folk songs with environmental theme for the students and villagers.
Thus the villagers of the Kondangudi village were benefited by this internship programme and the total beneficiaries are 500 people.
The NSS is part of our academic, social and personal life as it is one of the dimension of education. It allows the students to actively contribute their services for the cause of community and the nation, thus helping them develop their personality. As such NSS is the right platform, where the student-youth of the nation get involved with real life social activities and thereby becoming responsible citizen of India.
NSS in our college
Our college has four NSS units. Each unit has an enrollment of hundred volunteers.
The aim of NSS is to improve personality through community service. The volunteers are trained as per the motto of NSS “Not Me but You”. The NSS units follow the Regular activities and special camping activities. Under Regular activities the units conduct the following programmes every year.